Coupons are effective.
Consider these points from http://smallbusinessbonfire.com/blog:
1. Coupons are time-based and encourage fast action.
2. Coupons offer an immediate benefit.
3. Coupons can push on-the-fence purchasers toward making a purchase.
4. Coupons can give previous purchasers a reason to purchase again.
5. The success of your coupons can be measured and tracked.
When considering creative there are certain design elements that scream out “This is a coupon”.
1. A dashed rectangular frame. Especially with the word save in it.
2. Small scissors touching the border
3. Layout placement—
• Traditional media such as ads and inserts in a corner of a page for easy cutting (or tearing).
• In direct mail I opt for a separate buckslip.
• For email, placement it’s best on the top portion so it is seen as soon as the email is opened.
4. A gift card look
Can you think of anything else?